As a motorcycle rider, you can always find ways to be safer on the road – or just to enjoy the ride more. Mobile apps are a great way to do this. As well as always being on your person, they can also give you all kinds of information that you need while you ride. Here are the 7 most useful apps for the iPhone for motorcycle lovers.
1. Eat Sleep Ride This app is a bit of a motherlode when it comes to motorcycle apps. It has just about everything you could possibly want. The user interface is simple and attractive, and you can enjoy a wide range of features. These include tracking and sharing your rides as well as saving them for later, replaying the rides you have taken to see what speed, elevation, and lean angle you were at, and taking a look at routes submitted by others. The best feature for safety is CRASHLIGHT, which uses your accelerometer to detect when you have crashed the motorcycle. It then sends an alert to pre-selected contacts about the fact that you may be in trouble, telling them your exact location.
2. Best Biking Roads Where are the best roads for biking near you? This app will tell you! There are more than 25,000 riders around the world contributing data, and they have created more than 8,000 routes which are perfect for a ride. You can even see images, videos, and reviews from other riders before you decide which ones to try. It’s a great app for those looking for inspiration for their rides.
3. FuelLog If you want to keep your bike in good shape, you’ll love this app. It tracks your fuel consumption, how much it costs you, and when your vehicle needs maintenance. It also calculates statistics for you such as your fuel mileage, the average cost per distance, how much you spend on fuel a month, and how far you have ridden. It’s great for cars too.
4. Dark Sky The leading weather app on the market, Dark Sky is ideal for riders who need to know what the weather is going to do and when. The extremely accurate weather forecasts include both government radar information and tips from users on the ground, so it is constantly tweaked for even more accuracy. If you don’t want to get caught out in the rain, this is for you.
5. CRADAR If you want a crash reporter but don’t fancy Eat Sleep Ride, this is the next best thing. The app is solely a crash detector which uses your accelerometer to contact friends or family members with your location when it detects an accident. They can even receive details of how to get to your location if they want to rush out and find you.
6. Instagram Now, you might think Instagram isn’t essential for bikers, but it could be. Sharing your rides with others, showing off your bike, and seeing what others are up to will help you enjoy yourself all the more. You can upload photos from cloud storage too once your iCloud account is unlocked, and you can share older images from your computer this way.
7. Gas Buddy If you want to cut down your gas spending, then finding the cheapest prices is the easiest way. Gas Buddy will report the lowest fuel prices in your area, all of them constantly updated by users. You can also gain points for reporting yourself.
With these apps in your hand, your ride will be so much better. Turn your smartphone into your motorcycle’s best friend!