Your motorcycle is precious to you and you want to give it the best care. You may take care of your bike and keep it in a good state by following all the instructions given by the manufacturer. You may get it serviced regularly and get proper maintenance done. But, what if you have to store your bike for awhile? Are you aware of the little things you must do to ensure your bike remains well maintained even through storage?
Here are some very important things you should do when you decide to store your bike for a period of time:
1) Fill the fuel tank with quality fuel that is free of ethanol. Check the amount of recommended fuel stabilizer. The fuel tank should be completely full with premium fuel as it will prevent condensation at the time of temperature fluctuations.
2) Before oil or filter change is done make sure to warm up your bike. You can do that in your driveway or just go for a 5-10 minutes ride. This will ensure that the fuel stabilizer works through the entire system of your bike.
3) Never store your bike with old or used oil as the acidity levels may get raised and that may harm the engine.
4) Make sure your bike is cooled down after the heat up. Access the float bowl drain screws to drain the float bowls.
5) Wash your bike thoroughly before storing it and you can cover the painted parts with wax. If storage environment is going to be damp covering the chrome bit with light oil is a good idea. Just make sure to remove that before you use the bike again.
6) Lubricate the chain after the bike is washed and cleaned. You can adjust the chain as per the manufacturer’s guidelines. This will prevent the hassle after the storage period.
Apart from the points mentioned above, there are much more ways in which you can prevent your bike. You should consult an expert and the manufacturer’s manual for more tips.